Friday, February 10, 2017

Feedback on Grace and the Secret Vault

It's always gratifying  to receive positive feedback about one's book. Two knowledgeable people, one an Ottawa author, the other a church leader and book club member, liked "Grace and the Secret Vault" and told me why.

Author Catina Noble wrote a comprehensive review from which I will quote a small part.  She said:  "The novel begins just after the First World War with fourteen year old Grace finding out from her parents that they are moving in with another family because Father has lost his job. To make matters worse, her father will be leaving to travel once again...empowering the lower class that they do, in fact, have a voice.  No matter lifestyle or social status, everyone has the right to be heard, the right to a fair wage and the right to safe working conditions... Throughout the novel, Grace wants to be supportive of her parents because she believes in what they stand for, but doesn't understand why it should be herself and her siblings who sometimes have to pay the price....Ruth Latta's novel is engaging, historical, beautifully written, and readers will fall in love with Grace from the first page."

Virginia McClatchy wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it hard to put down. I also learned some history I was unaware of.  This past week I attended "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams" about Joey Smallwood and Newfoundland's joining Confederation.  I enjoyed it very much as an historical play and found this a very enjoyable way to learn history.  I felt the same way about your book and find it so appropriate that your book is new in Canada's 150th birthday year.  It would be wonderful if it were in every school and library in Canada.  Both the play and your book have inspired me to want to learn more and find some relevant history books. I have passed your book on to my daughter."

No comments:

Post a Comment